Who Owns GMC?
General Motors (GM) owns GMC (General Motors Truck Company). GM is an American auto manufacturer known for its heavy-duty pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, such as the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado. GMC is one of GM’s many subsidiaries, which includes Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, and more. Learn more about the GMC brand, manufacturing plants, and history below!
Where is GMC Made?
The brand has its headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, United States. GMC vehicles are built at a handful of GM’s North American and Candian plants:
- Fort Wayne Assembly Plant in Roanoke, Indiana – builds the Sierra.
- Arlington Assembly Plant in Arlington, Texas – builds the Yukon and Yukon XL.
- Lansing Delta Township Assembly Plant in Delta Township, Michigan – builds the tow-friendly Acadia.
- Shreveport Operations in Shreveport, Lousiana – builds the Canyon.
- Wentzville Assembly Plant in Wentzville, Missouri – builds the Savana.
- CAMI Assembly Plant in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada – builds the Terrain.
History of the General Motors Truck Company
Here’s a quick look at GMC’s journey through the automotive industry:
- Max Grabowsky founded Rapid Motor Vehicle Company, which developed some of the world’s first trucks.
- General Motors acquired Rapid Motor in 1909, resulting in General Motors Truck Company.
- The company released the first mass-produced truck in 1912. Over 22,000 were sold.
- During WWII, the company became a crucial provider to the U.S. Military and manufactured over 600,000 trucks for its use.
Fun Fact: GMC and Chevrolet trucks are manufactured in the same plants using the same parts. Their trims are different, however.
Explore the Lineup at Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks in Fairbanks!
Schedule a test drive at Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks to learn more about the brand’s vehicles, features, and technologies. We’re conveniently located near North Pole and Fort Wainwright! While you’re here, be sure to check out our current offers and incentives on new models like the Sierra, Acadia, and Yukon!
More from Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks
If you are interested in something fun to experience in the North Pole area of Alaska, check out the Northern Lights. After dining at a Fairbanks restaurant or spending a night out on the town, the Northern Lights could be a fantastic end to your evening. If you find yourself in the area during the Aurora…
Chevy MyLink is a connectivity system found throughout the Chevrolet model lineup. Updating the Chevy MyLink software is an easy process. Learn how to update Chevy MyLink – and learn its various benefits – here at Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks. Who Founded Chevy? Contact Us Updating Chevy MyLink Software It’s easy: turn on your vehicle and the Chevy MyLink software…
Winter months can wreak havoc on your vehicle, including salting driveways to avoiding potholes. Cold weather can make it difficult to start your vehicle in the morning. A car that runs properly allows you can get to work, run errands, and just maintain normalcy in your life when the North Pole weather is chilly. If your…