Who Owns GMC?
General Motors (GM) owns GMC (General Motors Truck Company). GM is an American auto manufacturer known for its heavy-duty pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, such as the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado. GMC is one of GM’s many subsidiaries, which includes Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, and more. Learn more about the GMC brand, manufacturing plants, and history below!
Where is GMC Made?
The brand has its headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, United States. GMC vehicles are built at a handful of GM’s North American and Candian plants:
- Fort Wayne Assembly Plant in Roanoke, Indiana – builds the Sierra.
- Arlington Assembly Plant in Arlington, Texas – builds the Yukon and Yukon XL.
- Lansing Delta Township Assembly Plant in Delta Township, Michigan – builds the tow-friendly Acadia.
- Shreveport Operations in Shreveport, Lousiana – builds the Canyon.
- Wentzville Assembly Plant in Wentzville, Missouri – builds the Savana.
- CAMI Assembly Plant in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada – builds the Terrain.
History of the General Motors Truck Company
Here’s a quick look at GMC’s journey through the automotive industry:
- Max Grabowsky founded Rapid Motor Vehicle Company, which developed some of the world’s first trucks.
- General Motors acquired Rapid Motor in 1909, resulting in General Motors Truck Company.
- The company released the first mass-produced truck in 1912. Over 22,000 were sold.
- During WWII, the company became a crucial provider to the U.S. Military and manufactured over 600,000 trucks for its use.
Fun Fact: GMC and Chevrolet trucks are manufactured in the same plants using the same parts. Their trims are different, however.
Explore the Lineup at Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks in Fairbanks!
Schedule a test drive at Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks to learn more about the brand’s vehicles, features, and technologies. We’re conveniently located near North Pole and Fort Wainwright! While you’re here, be sure to check out our current offers and incentives on new models like the Sierra, Acadia, and Yukon!
More from Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks
Chevy Homelink is a wireless control system, conveniently built right into your Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Trax, or other Chevy vehicle. Homelink allows North Pole drivers to: Open and close your garage door Activate or deactivate your home’s security system Activate or deactivate your home’s lights and electronics As you can see, Homelink is the next generation…
Those who serve at Fort Wainwright and Eielson Air Force Base know that the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado is one of the industry’s best performers, with previous versions outclassing the Toyota Tundra and the RAM 1500. Even though this is the case, the Chevrolet Silverado sure is easy to customize. North Pole drivers can customize their…
The Chevrolet Motor Car Company was founded on November 3, 1911 in Detroit. It was co-founded by Louis Chevrolet, a Swiss race car driver and automotive engineer, and William C. Durant, the ousted founder of General Motors. Chevrolet is one of the most popular and recognizable automotive brands in the United States, but it’s surprising…