Who Owns GMC?
General Motors (GM) owns GMC (General Motors Truck Company). GM is an American auto manufacturer known for its heavy-duty pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, such as the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado. GMC is one of GM’s many subsidiaries, which includes Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, and more. Learn more about the GMC brand, manufacturing plants, and history below!
Where is GMC Made?
The brand has its headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, United States. GMC vehicles are built at a handful of GM’s North American and Candian plants:
- Fort Wayne Assembly Plant in Roanoke, Indiana – builds the Sierra.
- Arlington Assembly Plant in Arlington, Texas – builds the Yukon and Yukon XL.
- Lansing Delta Township Assembly Plant in Delta Township, Michigan – builds the Acadia.
- Shreveport Operations in Shreveport, Lousiana – builds the Canyon.
- Wentzville Assembly Plant in Wentzville, Missouri – builds the Savana.
- CAMI Assembly Plant in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada – builds the Terrain.
History of the General Motors Truck Company
Here’s a quick look at GMC’s journey through the automotive industry:
- Max Grabowsky founded Rapid Motor Vehicle Company, which developed some of the world’s first trucks.
- General Motors acquired Rapid Motor in 1909, resulting in General Motors Truck Company.
- The company released the first mass-produced truck in 1912. Over 22,000 were sold.
- During WWII, the company became a crucial provider to the U.S. Military and manufactured over 600,000 trucks for its use.
Fun Fact: GMC and Chevrolet trucks are manufactured in the same plants using the same parts. Their trims are different, however.
Who Owns Buick?
With the Buick Encore and Buick Enclave being such popular models among local drivers, you may also be wondering, “Who owns Buick?” As we noted up above, Buick, like Chevrolet and GMC, is owned by General Motors. As the oldest American automaker that is still operating today, the very first Buick model entered the market in 1903. It wasn’t until September 17, 1908 that GM purchased the company (just one day after GM officially went public with William C. Durant!)
While GMC is known for delivering rugged pickup trucks and family-friendly SUVs to North Pole drivers, Buick hones in on affordable luxury, with most models offering standard amenities like automatic climate control, QuietTuning™ technology, leather-appointed seating, and more.
Explore the Lineup at Chevrolet Buick GMC Of Fairbanks in Fairbanks!
Schedule a test drive at Chevrolet Buick GMC Of Fairbanks to learn more about the brand’s vehicles, features (like the GMC Sierra bed sizes and the Sierra 2500HD towing capacity), and technologies. We’re conveniently located near North Pole and Fort Wainwright! While you’re here, be sure to check out our current offers and incentives on new models like the Sierra, the tow-ready Acadia, and Yukon!
More from Chevrolet Buick GMC Of Fairbanks
Considering the 2022 GMC Acadia as your next family-friendly crossover SUV in Fairbanks? You may be wondering just how much the GMC Acadia can tow? When properly equipped, the 2022 GMC Acadia towing capacity reaches as much as 4,000 pounds. The 2022 GMC Acadia towing capacity is the same as the 2021 GMC Acadia towing…
The beloved Chevy Suburban is back with all the great features Fort Wainwright drivers love. From the feature-rich 2021 Chevrolet Suburban interior to the comfortable and adaptable Suburban seating, you can see why it’s easy to fall in love with this Chevy model. Take a closer look at the Chevy Suburban interior dimensions and the…
The 2021 GMC Sierra is one of the most popular vehicles on the market. When including the entire towing package, the 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 can tow around 11,800 pounds. This makes it a great half-ton pickup for towing trailers around North Pole and beyond. For more information on the towing capabilities of the 2021 GMC…