IS YOUR GM CAR PROTECTED FOR WINTER?
Winter is practically upon Fairbanks, AK; falling leaves will quickly become falling snow and holiday vacations will require family roads trips. Before winter arrives, Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks would like to remind you to complete a number of car care checks before you ask your vehicle to fight winter weather. Completing these checks will help you avoid getting stranded in freezing temperatures and snow during commutes in the Fairbanks area.
Schedule A Winter Inspection
CHECK TIRES FOR WINTER
- Check your tires for uneven tread wear and optimal tire pressure.
- If any of the tires are lacking in air, refill appropriately and keep monitoring the tire to ensure you don’t have a small air leak.
- When your GM vehicle has low tire tread, you should think about replacing your tires before winter.
- All-season tires should suffice in many locations, but if you’re in an area that receives a large amount of snow, then winter tires are recommend.
- Winter tires have tread patterns and rubber compounds designed to grip snow and ice; they also tend to have a shorter tread life. Learn about our Blizzak winter tires.
COMPLETE AN AUTO FLUID CHECK FOR WINTER
TEST CAR BATTERY POWER LEVELS FOR WINTER
- In case the battery is low, you can attempt charging it, but make sure the battery holds a charge.
- Low temperatures automatically reduces battery cranking power, which means you should make sure the battery is fully charged during frigid weather.
- Check battery terminals for any corrosion. When there is corrosion around the terminals, clean them thoroughly.
- Check battery fluid level. In case the fluid is low, then add distilled water.
- Generally if the battery is more than 5 years old and shows signs of weakness, Chevrolet Buick GMC of Fairbanks suggests replacing the battery with a new one.